With the current COVID-19 global pandemic we are all faced with challenging times ahead. With the situation changing daily, we are assessing and responding these changes, because the health and safety of our staff, volunteers, foster carers, clients and the animals in our care is our top priority.
Inline with state and federal government restrictions, from 11:59pm Sunday, 2 August 2020 all Victorians must wear a face covering when they leave home. It is a condition of entry to any GAWS site that you be wearing a face covering while on site (unless you have a lawful excuse or exception for not wearing a face covering as outlined here on the DHHS website).
To ensure that we comply with guidelines on social distancing, we have modified our models of services and are now operating by appointment only for all services., Please make sure you have an appointment booked prior to arriving at GAWS.
HOW WE'RE DOING THINGS DIFFERENTLY
Community Vet Clinic
The GAWS vet clinic remains open to our community however, we have made some changes to how we conduct consultations. Due to social distancing requirements, we are limiting face-to-face consultations. Upon arrival, clients report to reception with your animal. Vets will consult with owners via telephone.
All of our adoptions are now operating by appointment. You can view all the animals we currently have available for adoption via the links below:
Dogs Cats Small Animals & Birds
If you find an animal that you may be interested in adopting, please complete the applicable ’Adoption Questionnaire’ to express your interest. Our adoptions team will review your questionnaire and get in touch with you to make an appointment. Please be patient with us as we are experiencing higher than usual interest in adoptions at the moment.
No 'walk in' adoptions will take place until further notice.
PLEASE NOTE: With stage 4 restrictions currently in place for metropolitan Melbourne residents, we strongly recommend that you visit https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/stage-4-restrictions-covid-19 before submitting an adoption questionnaire.
Our Foster program is now more important than ever. We have been inundated with enquiries from people wanting to help and are working through these as quickly as possible. We thank you for your interest and patience while we work through these.
If someone you know is interested in becoming a GAWS Foster Carer, please complete our online application via the Foster page and we will be in touch as soon as possible.
Please get in touch with us by telephone on (03) 5248 2091 or visit the Moolap facility during business hours reclaim your pet.
Please telephone us on (03) 5248 2091 to make an appointment prior to coming into our facility.
Op Shop and Recycled Fashion & Homewares Stores
Both of our retails stores are temporarily closed until further notice.
- GAWS Op Shop - 63 Vines Road, Hamlyn Heights
- GAWS Recycled Fashion & Homewares - 201 Pakington Street, Geelong West
For all other enquiries, please contact us on (03) 5248 2091
In addition, we've implemented a number of other measures to protect everyone onsite including:
- Additional cleaning throughout the day of our high traffic areas.
- Provision of hand sanitiser available for all visitors to site. We ask that you please sanitise your hands upon entry AND exist of our reception & cat adoption areas.
- When visiting us by appointment, please observe people limits. We can only have four (4) people in reception at a time. There is additional seating available outside our reception and cat adoption areas while you wait.
- Please be mindful to maintain the recommended 1.5m social distancing measures throughout the facility.
- Please be patient with our staff and volunteers, they are doing the best they can. We want to ensure that every ones health & safety is the number one priority at all times.
Do NOT visit the site if you are:
- experiencing any cold or flu like symptoms
- have returned from overseas within the past 14 days
- have tested positive to COVID-19
- have been in direct contact with someone who have tested positive to COVID-19
Please continue to visit us if you'd like to adopt an animal and use our vet clinic. We will continue to keep our community updated on a regular basis.
Let's all work together and lead with kindness during these unprecedented times.
Related Article: COVID-19 & Our Pets