We can’t do it without you!
Volunteering is a great way to meet people who share your passion for animal welfare, while learning new skills and being a part of something rewarding.
GAWS currently has a most wonderful team of over 200 dedicated volunteers. There are various roles available including working at the shelter, fostering, assisting with fundraising and administration, or working in the GAWS Op Shop.
If you would like to make a difference to our animals by volunteering and can commit to a regular weekly schedule for a period of at least six months, have a passion for animal welfare and are over the age of 18, or would like to arrange your student experience with us, please contact us.
To be eligible to become a volunteer at GAWS, you must:
- Be 18 years or older or 16 if completing hours as part of a tertiary educational program
- Willing to undertake a National Volunteer Police Check, provide a Working With Children check (if applicable), or equivalent
- Complete relevant orientation and training
- Attend ongoing information and education sessions
- Sign and agree to our Confidentiality Agreement
- Keep us updated with any changes in availability or contact details
Volunteer Application form
Volunteer vacancies are identified, interviews are held and suitable applicants are selected for each volunteer position. Following this, induction and training is given to successful volunteer applicants.
We're very fortunate to have overwhelming interest in our volunteer program at GAWS and at times the demand for volunteer roles exceeds volunteer vacancies. We appreciate your patience and understanding.
Student Placements at GAWS
GAWS also hosts students between the age of 16-18 years who are enrolled in an animal related tertiary course and require placement hours as a component of their study. To enquire about student placements, please submit a student placement application form.
Student Placement Application Form
We value diversity and encourage volunteers from all sections of the community.
To find out more contact us.